Wednesday 11 January 2012

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

I FINALLY got to see this film last night! Took me long enough, considering I work in a cinema! Ach well, better late than never.

Having heard mixed reviews about it, I didn't have my hopes set too high (but I do think Downey Jr. is superb as Holmes - and also Iron Man!) but I have to say I thoroughly enjoy it, perhaps more than the first one.

The first film was very much a light hearted story and despite the setting of the the film and characters being quite dark, they were the points of light and were of outstanding contrast - a brilliant balance. It didn't require a lot of concentration to watch, meaning it's a good film to actually settle down and watch or have on in the background.

Game of Shadows was a little different. The characters were portrayed darker than in the previous film and their relationship strained but not lacking in care and wit at each other's expense. This film had a much faster pace and you had to keep up and pay attention or you were going to be left behind. There were fewer scenes focused on the interaction of Holmes and Watson and these were merged with other things going on. It worked, but it lost something for me there.

Two different films but both worked wonderfully. I'm finding it hard deciding which one I like more. The darkness and edge of Game of Shadows or the lighter and boyish original. Very hard to decide...

No comments:

Post a Comment